R1200GS Euro3 with AF-XIED

Moderator: Roger 04 RT

Belco100

R1200GS Euro3 with AF-XIED

Post by Belco100 »

One of my mates has just fitted a pair of AF-XIED devices to his R1200GS, but his is a Euro3 and he is pretty happy with the results.

One thing I have noticed on his model is just how quick action the throttle feels. They have really dumbed down the throttle response on newer Euro4 models including the 1250, which under normal riding makes his one feel as quick as a 1250 ie he twists the throttle and gets a similiar response as a 1250. The 1250 is ultimately faster but you have to twist the throttle a lot more to get the same response. So in normal riding around they feel similar - he told me his feels quicker compared to the 1250 he took on a test ride, which just shows how important that throttle map is.

I know this is true on the K16s having had several Euro3 version the Euro4 throttle is terrible and does almost nothing until you get the throttle pinned making you ride the big bike like an R6 - I have a ECU Stage 1 on mine and this has had the throttle map "tweaked" and has made a big difference. IMHO this is definitely an area that needs fixing on most Euro4 BMWs :shock:
knutk

Re: R1200GS Euro3 with AF-XIED

Post by knutk »

Belco100 wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 11:11 One of my mates has just fitted a pair of AF-XIED devices to his R1200GS, but his is a Euro3 and he is pretty happy with the results.

One thing I have noticed on his model is just how quick action the throttle feels. They have really dumbed down the throttle response on newer Euro4 models including the 1250, which under normal riding makes his one feel as quick as a 1250 ie he twists the throttle and gets a similiar response as a 1250. The 1250 is ultimately faster but you have to twist the throttle a lot more to get the same response. So in normal riding around they feel similar - he told me his feels quicker compared to the 1250 he took on a test ride, which just shows how important that throttle map is.

I know this is true on the K16s having had several Euro3 version the Euro4 throttle is terrible and does almost nothing until you get the throttle pinned making you ride the big bike like an R6 - I have a ECU Stage 1 on mine and this has had the throttle map "tweaked" and has made a big difference. IMHO this is definitely an area that needs fixing on most Euro4 BMWs :shock:
On my manipulated -15 GSA I also noticed the difference before/after manipulation (homebrew O2 manipulator). Prior to manipulation, hitting the throttle gave a steady surge. After manipulation hitting the throttle gave an instant kick. I'm not sure how much it would mean using a stop-watch, but it sure felt good :lol:
My unmodified 1250 is back to the surge rather than kick feeling.
Roger 04 RT

Post by Roger 04 RT »

Knutk,

I don’t have a 1250 yet. Any chance you can find a spec for its wideband O2 sensor? I’m particularly interested in the pump current vs lambda chart.
knutk

Post by knutk »

Roger 04 RT wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 16:25 Knutk,

I don’t have a 1250 yet. Any chance you can find a spec for its wideband O2 sensor? I’m particularly interested in the pump current vs lambda chart.
Actually, I have been searching for the spec sheet for a while, but have not been able to find any yet.

Frankly, as I was reading up on the WB sensors, learning that the sensor, in addition to register current also checks the current circuit for it's internal resistance in order to fine tune temperature control, well, it kind of lowered my ambitions. And also that Treetop made a LamdaMap tune didn't help on mu hunger to solve the WB challenge. :oops:

But I am a succer for a challenge, and I do keep searching for a data sheet. However, it's not on the top of my list :D
Roger 04 RT

Post by Roger 04 RT »

I’ve been searching too. I’m not sure why that spec is so hard to come by except it was probably first written in Japanese. Happy Holidays

P.S. If you come by a p/n, please let me know.

Return to “AF-XIED and PIGGYBACK SOLUTIONS”