2018/19 EURO 4 K1600 TT STG1

Treetoptuning

2018/19 EURO 4 K1600 TT STG1

Post by Treetoptuning »

As per the title the TT STG1 is finished . Bringing Bang for buck cost effective modifications to your ECU

Closed loop area 0-80 percent throttle fixed unleashing a good 15hp . Throttle restriction removed , Top speed limiter removed

£320 in post only plus postage (royal mail tracked and signed for)

Distributers MotoTuning and CJSRacing
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (219.1 KiB) Viewed 3838 times

Treetoptuning

Re: 2018/19 EURO 4 K1600 TT STG1

Post by Treetoptuning »

New vs old throttle maps for the k1600 Euro 4
thr old.JPG
thr old.JPG (116.32 KiB) Viewed 3830 times
thr new.JPG
thr new.JPG (122.27 KiB) Viewed 3830 times

Belco100

Post by Belco100 »

A bit of a pain to get to the ECU on these, but start by disabling the alarm and disconnecting the battery. To get to the ECU you need to remove the right had side fairing panel, and then you can see the ECU cluster. I removed the horn as well to make more room. Remove the three screws that hold the ECU cluster on, wiggle it loose and then remove the ECU and disconnect it. Posted off to Treetop on Tuesday and got it back today (Thursday), great turnaround! Connected the ECU back up and re-connected the battery and re-enabled the alarm. The bike started up immediately. I don't know if there is a Throttle Position Reset needed on these, but I didn't do one :roll: No engine lights or anything, but does seem to have lost its service data and came up service needed.

So, all good so far and snapped the ECU back into its cluster and screwed it back in place, then screwed the horn back on. Without the fairing panel back on I went for a shakedown 10 mile run at part throttle, and it really doesn't need much throttle to get rolling now and feels so smooth. The K16s have always been smooth, but as anyone that has had a Euro3 version knows, the Euro 4 (2017 onwards) throttle is really flat, and the first 10% feels like it does nothing, well on this short ride this feels much better and I probably didn't go over 10% throttle :D . A slow ride in traffic, 52mpg and back home. Shakedown complete so fairing panel back on. There is a small plastic rivet that has to be prised of to get the fairing off that breaks, so you will need a new one or a small self taper - on some models (Bagger maybe?) there is a screw in there, but on mine it was a rivet.

All back together and one last restart on a hot engine - no problem and definitely more responsive. Will need to wait until the weekend for a proper ride and to get above 3,000 rpm.

Roger 04 RT

Post by Roger 04 RT »

A friend of mine has a 2019 K1600 and complains about how much throttle it takes to get off the line. He loves the bike other than its low throttle/RPM performance. I guess this flash would solve his problems.

Belco100

Post by Belco100 »

That’s my major complaint. Euro3 was fine but Euro4 is so soft.

Belco100

Post by Belco100 »

I managed to get out on Sunday for a couple of hours - the weather was pretty bad but found some dry spells in amongst the rain.

First few mile slow in traffic, but it was pretty obvious that far less throttle (the amount of twist) was needed just to move, and being a big old engine the first dozen or so miles in traffic was under 2,500rpm and she was returning over 50mpg - averaged 53mpg on that slow run.

Got out on to some bigger and less busy dryer roads, still pretty contained by traffic, but could try some roll-ons etc and getting the revs up on the dual carraige ways. Throttle is very strong at part throttle, and a couple of hard roll-ons in third showed she was now very torquey in the midrange, just what a 1600cc bike should be before being killed off by Euro4! Fuel economy was still in the high 40s, but now around 48mpg, but the K1600s have always started to get thirsty above 3,500rpm.

The returning journey was better, still wet but less traffic. I tried a top gear roll-on and she really picked her skirt up and took off - Treetop have said they have done some ignition tweaks at high loads, and the speed limiter is removed on this Stage 1, so if you have a GTL, Bagger or Grand America that's something to keep in mind. Playing around on the exit of roundabouts I started to get a bit braver until she was actually spinning up :o I had the TC cut in three times - never had that before and it became quite good fun. Admittedly I was playing around a lot, but the fuel consumtion dropped to 43mpg at this point.

I wish I could have done a straight back to back on the throttle as it does feel so much better. From the maps above you can see that it only used to really come alive over 85% but now with the fuelling tweaks and the throttle map tweaks it feels strong all through like a big engine should.

Bigtune
Site Admin

Post by Bigtune »

Hopefully you will get a few decent days, before the really bad weather kicks in, we are told by the weatherman, we are doomed this year. :D :D :D

Belco100

Post by Belco100 »

Just a quick question for Treetoptunning:

I have been asked by someone and curious myself; If the bike goes back for a service and needs a software update, could all of this get overwritten? I guess the obvious answer is yes?

Return to “K 1600 B/GT/GTL GRAND AMERICA”